Sunday, March 4, 2012

Zucchini Carrot Cupcakes

My whole family gobbles these 'cupcakes' up, even knowing there are carrots and zucchini in them.  Wow!  I serve them for breakfast, snack, or dessert - no guilt.  I like them because my kids feel they are getting a special treat.  I'm willing to put a thin layer of icing on top since I know they're getting vegetables and whole wheat underneath!

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
(I split the 1 1/4 cup of flour evenly between wheat and white)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil (my kids need the fat, so I don't substitute applesauce)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup finely grated zucchini (about 1 small zucchini)
1 cup finely grated carrot
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
icing (cream cheese kind is the best)

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Instead of muffin liners, I spray the muffin tin with an olive oil cooking spray.
2.  Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3.  Beat sugar, eggs, canola oil, and vanilla extract for 1 minutes.
4.  Beat together wet and dry ingredients by hand until no traces of flour remain.  Stir in zucchini, carrot, and walnut.
5.  Spoon batter into muffin pan.  Bake for 15 minutes or until a done.  Cool on a rack.
6.  Frost with icing.  Top with sprinkles to make them more enticing!

*My tip - My kids like the bite-size muffins, so I'll cook a pan of those.  Then I use the rest of the batter in regular size muffin tins and add the walnuts since my kids don't like them.



No comments:

Post a Comment