Friday, March 16, 2012

Quinoa Wrap





This Quinoa Wrap is one of the yummiest things I've made for myself in months!  Not only that, but it's very low fat (if you don't use the avocado, which I didn't).  If you're not familiar with quinoa (keen-wah), it is usually considered a grain but is actually a relative of leafy green veggies like spinach.  It is high in protein, manganese, magnesium, folate and phosphorus.  It's the new wonder grain!  I buy it in the bulk section at Winco.

I served my Quinoa Wrap with Asparagus that I cooked in a frying pan covered over medium heat with a little olive oil and garlic powder.

I found the Quinoa Wrap recipe on Pinterest.  I didn't use the chipotle sauce, but if you're interested in it you can go to this link: http://www.epicureanmom.com/2012/01/southwestern-quinoa-wrap-vegetarian.html

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
2 - 2 1/2 cups veggie broth
pinch of salt (I didn't use)
1 can black beans, warmed or cold
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 avocado, sliced (I didn't use)
2 ears of corn, shucked (I used frozen corn)
2 bell peppers, grilled and sliced into strips (I used 1 red pepper for 2 wraps)
4 whole wheat tortilla (I used the unhealthy flour kind, but these would be great.  I toasted mine in a frying pan before assembling the wrap.)

Instructions:
(I start broth and quinoa, preheat oven, then start onions.  After onions are done I use the same pan to cook the peppers, though they could probably be cooked together.)

Heat veggie broth and quinoa in a small saucepan just until boiling.  Turn to low-medium and simmer for 25 minutes, or until just tender.  Fluff with a fork.

Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat, add the onion.  Cook until brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375.  Put shucked or frozen corn on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.  Bake until just browning, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Assembly:
Scoop a heaping spoonful of black beans, quinoa, caramelized onions and corn.  Place bell pepper strips over the top and finish with avocado slices (if you are using).  Roll and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment