Sunday, March 4, 2012

Broccoli and Toasted Bread Crumb Sauce

I know from the name this recipe doesn't sound very kid-friendly.  However, it is my daughters' favorite meal.  Maddie even requested it for her birthday dinner last year.  If you're tired of the typical red or white sauce, give this a try!  It's a little dry (which doesn't bother me or the girls, but Matt doesn't like it).  The flavors are wonderful, though - garlic, parmesan, and breadcrumbs!



1 pound small broccoli florets
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed (don't look down on me, but I sometimes use garlic powder when I'm in a hurry)
1 cup dry bread crumbs (I use Italian seasoning ones)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of pine nuts, toasted (these cost so much in CA that I've stopped using them, but they are wonderful if you can get them)

1 box of pasta of your choice (my favorite with this recipe is whole wheat rotini)

1.  Cook the pasta
2.  Steam the broccoli until tender (don't over cook!)
3.  Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and fry garlic for 30 seconds.  Add the bread crumbs and Parmesan and, stirring constantly, fry for 2-3 minutes or until crunchy and golden.
4.  Sprinkle the broccoli with lemon juice, then top with the bread crumb mixture.  Season and sprinkle with more Parmesan and the pine nuts.  Toss with hot pasta and serve.

Timing - Heat water for pasta first.  When it's almost ready to boil, heat water for broccoli.  When the pasta has about 6-7 minutes to go, start bread crumb mixture (it takes a while for the oil to heat up).

*I found this recipe in "Great Pasta Sauces" by Sally Griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment