Served cold, this salad is light and full of lime/cilantro flavors. I changed it up a bit as far as toppings. Feel free to alter the added vegetables to include your favorite.
2/3 cup dried orzo pasta
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
2 cups shredded chicken (recipe called for rotisserie, but I grilled chicken tenders then shredded them)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (my husband doesn't like tomatoes, so I used chopped red bell pepper)
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (I didn't use since I'm dairy free now)
- In a medium saucepan, cook orzo pasta according to package directions (about 10 minutes). Add corn during the last 1 minute of cooking. Drain. Rinse with cold water to cool quickly. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine orzo mixture, chicken, tomatoes and cilantro.
- Sprinkle feta cheese.
- Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, drizzle with Avocado-Lime dressing (see below) or purchased guacamole.
- In a blender or food processor, combine:
1 small avocado (I didn't have one, so used 1 tablespoon of olive oil instead)
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
1/4 cup lime juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I didn't use)
1/4 teaspoon of salt (I didn't use)
- Cover and blend until processed
- Transfer to a small bowl and cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours
*I found this recipe in a magazine years ago.