Sunday, March 4, 2012

Homemade Pesto

When you have children who don't like the typical spaghetti sauce, you have to get creative.  Thus the two recipes in a row involving alternative pasta sauces!  I have tried quite a few homemade pesto recipes and had to change them a bit to get it just how I like it.

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts &/or pine nuts (I do all walnuts because they're cheaper.  I even tried pecans once and was pleasantly surprised)
3 cubes of frozen basil (from Trader Joes).  You can use fresh basil - about 2 cups - but it costs more and goes bad quickly.
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
1/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper (optional)

Blend all ingredients in a food processor (I use my Magic Bullet or blender) until smooth.  Add pepper at the end if you use it

I find one batch covers one box of pasta with a small container left over.  I use the leftover pesto on thick crusty bread to make paninis or just a pesto and cheese toast.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment