Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Honey's Tuna (or Chicken) Noodle Casserole

Get ready for a feel-good food with little nutritional value.  Well, there is protein and calcium.  I usually serve it with steamed broccoli or salad to help me not feel so guilty!

Honey was my grandma (yes, we all called her Honey) who was not known for her cooking skills, except for this beloved casserole and a few dessert recipes.  When she retired she spent her days living on an island, driving a convertible, and playing golf everyday.  I hope to follow in her footsteps.  

Ingredients:
12 oz package of wide noodles
13oz can of tuna (I use chicken - canned, rotisserie, or grilled cut up in small pieces)
white sauce (see recipe below)
1 cup grated cheddar

Instructions:
Boil noodles and drain  
Alternate layers of noodles, meat, sauce, and cheese in greased baking dish ending with cheese.
Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes uncovered.  

White Sauce:
4 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salk
pepper

Melt butter in saucepan on medium low.  Blend in flour.  Gradually add milk.  Cook stirring constantly until thick.  Add salt and pepper.  Cook another couple of minutes.  Don't let it get too thick!

(I'll stick a picture in next time I make it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment